Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Our Little Garden

Truth be told, I don’t know that you would call our garden little.  Most of you will continue reading and think I’m crazy to call it little, maybe I am!  But if you read all of the way down, maybe you’ll believe me.

So here it is:
full-garden

When we bough the house last year, there was already a very large, established garden. 
old-garden

We tilled up about half of it and had a pretty decent crop. The only problem with this garden is that it was smack dab in the center of our backyard.  It just wasn’t ideal. Especially because we were planning to move the playground back here.  But last year we didn’t have time to really plan things out.

So this spring we laid out a new garden closer to the edge of our yard, out of the way.  Adam spent a good majority of the spring tilling and re-tilling the new garden to get rid of all the existing grass.  He continues to till in-between the rows every few weeks to keep the grass/weeds at bay.

I have to admit that the only thing I did in the garden was transplant these strawberries (only half of the original patch, we’ll move the rest this fall).
strawberries

Adam has travailed over the rest of the garden.  He’s getting sweaty and dirty now.  I’ll get sweaty and dirty in the fall when I am canning and freezing everything.  Or maybe I’ll just cry.  I just look at my kitchen and begin to get anxious about the pots and pots of hot water I’m going to have to carry back and forth across my kitchen! 

But for now, here is a tour of the garden…

Potatoes…
potatoes

7 tomato plants, cherries and huge slicing tomatoes…
tomato1

Peas, one row planted, another row to go in this week…
peas

Lettuce, WAY too much for two people…
lettuce

Broccoli, I think we’re adding another row of this too, maybe…
broccoli

Brussel sprouts…
brussel-sprouts

Beans, two rows in, one more to go (we lost our first plantings of these due to a later than expected frost)…
beans

Carrots…
carrots

Cilantro, planted to make salsa, but it is about done and the tomatoes have just started, will be replanting later...
cilantro

Onions, just beyond the green onion stage right now…
onions

Green peppers and jalapeños, not doing so great…
peppers

8 tomato plants, romas for canning (whole, sauce, salsa, spaghetti sauce)…
tomato2

Zucchini…
zucchini

zucchiniflower

Pickling cucumbers…
pickling-cucumber

Mini pumpkins…
mini-pumpkin-1

White mini pumpkins…I think..unless the ones above are white…
mini-pumpkin-3

Cucumbers, 2 of these…
cucumber2

6 rows of sweet corn, two or three varieties…
corn

Indian corn, mini and regular (can you tell which is which??)…
indiancorn

The pumpkin patch, not really sure which is which, but I know that we have some gourds planted in there too…
pumpkin-patch

So we think we’re kinda big time with our garden.  But then I just turn around and see this…
field fields

We work hard on our little plot.  But it still is very, very little compared to this.  A little awe-inspiring, isn’t it?

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Oh wow! I knew you were growing quite a few things, just not THAT much. Looks really cool! Do you get to use most of it? It almost sounds like an overload of crops haha. Had no idea you guys like brussel sprouts either. I expect a really great meal next time I visit ;)

Marissa said...

Gees Louise!! That is wonderful Patti! Good job you two! And yes, those farmers work hard too. :) Thanks for noticing (and I really mean that). But great, great, great, job! I would never have that much tenacity to complete such a big, wonderful project!

Tina said...

That's not just a little garden. You'll have so much yummie food and will feel even better when eating it knowing all the hard work you put into growing it. Way to go!!